Thursday, July 19, 2012

Stuttgart & Co. (Tübingen and Marbach)

Hi!

So, on Sunday July 15th I got to Stuttgart just fine with my group in the evening, so we didn't really do much other than get dinner. The train ride from Berlin was about 5 hours long with 1 transfer. Guh, the luggage I had made the train stuff a nightmare and I very muchly missed having a car this time in Germany. Our hostel is at the top of a hill that overlooks the city, and it has 4 buildings, and 7 floors. The view is really nice, and the wine is kind of expensive, but it is local and tasty. I was too poor to pay for the internet (it is expensive).

On the 16th we went to a cloister/monastery which was pretty neat, and then we went to Tübingen, which is an internationally famous university town where many famous people studied. Alzheimer, Hegel, Strauss, and Hesse are some famous people worth mentioning who studied there.

The old town within Tübingen was really adorable.

When the 17th rolled around we did a tour guided by our professors around Stuttgart. We went to an art museum, to the house where Strauss lived, and to a beautiful church. We also walked around the old city area, which was pretty. Lots of statues, fountains, small old buildings, and cobbled streets. At the end of the day everyone went to my professors place for a fancy, since she is staying with friends who wanted to make the meal. I missed out because I was feeling sick and decided to stay home and rest. One thing about this part of the trip, with the hostel, is that your sleep schedule is dependent on everyone else's, and there is very little personal time. So even though I was sick, at least I had some time to myself.

Yesterday we went to Marbach where there were lots of museums. We went to the Modern German Literature museum, the Strauss house where he was born, the Strauss Museum, and the German Literature museum (the one that isn't modern). The 2 literature museums basically collect many many many famous (and unfamous) manuscripts and originals, and other things, from German authors. I saw some of the original manuscripts by Franz Kafka, Heinrich Boll, and Walter Benjamin --> all of whom I have studied over a few semesters at UBC.

In the afternoon our professor treated us all out for lunch. We had a traditional swabian meal, but I really couldn't (and didn't) eat any of it because it was covered in egg. I hate eggs. I like mushrooms, and hate eggs. It was a good trade.  All the other students ate theirs though, and we were all really enjoying Gaby's gesture (it was very sweet of her). After that, I went out for some italian dinner with friends when we made it back to Stuttgart. Very yummy!

Tonight (July 19th) I am headed to France! Strasbourg is the name of the town, and you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strasbourg
It looks adorable, but I am not looking forward to lugging my bag around. I've already checked out of my hostel room, but will stay in the hostel since this is the first time I have had internet since I got here (and I'd like to relax). My next hostel should have internet, and then I can post some photos.

Stuttgart water fountain

Tübingen license plate that is really simple:
Cloister:









Really complicated ceiling in the cloister:

Tübingen!!!!!


I blinded this deer with my headlights. Oh, I mean camera flash:
























































No comments:

Post a Comment